Avoiding Air Conditioning Breakdowns, Mould & Problems Brisbane Qld
The most dangerous type of mould is the kind that's hidden. Going unseen and undetected, it spreads rapidly throughout your room, exposing you and your family to countless health problems. If you do detect slight mould, at either mild to low moderate levels, you can remove it through thorough cleaning, exposure to sunlight, and through proper ventilation. These moulds can be found in the most common air conditioner in your home, the wall split air conditioner.
Keeping the reduction of mould growth also reduces the running costs associated with air conditioning as keeping the coil clean will increase air flow. Cleaning the main filters that are in front of the coil on the wall split is also a major factor, bad air flow will result if overheating, overloading the compressor, less cooling efficacy and higher running cost as the compressor will work harder.
Blocked filters and dirty fan rollers can cause the following issues with wall split air conditioning:
- Poor airflow
- Damp mouldy smell
- Excessive water dripping from the unit
- Icing up
- Noise indoor unit
- Excessive mould growth
However, detecting and removing mould is far trickier with central air conditioning systems. Most people aren't even aware that mould can and probably is inside your air ducts and vents. If you have several of the symptoms listed above, but are confident that your home doesn't have mould, chances are it's hidden in your central AC system. Aircon systems are one of the main mould producing appliances because they are a highly suitable environment for fungus. The high density of moisture and dust makes this a perfect breeding ground. This is why keeping the main return air filter is very important as this helps reduce the build-up of dirt and mould through the main air conditioning unit and flexible duct work.
A standard ducted service will cover the following items and if the system is older than 5 years a coil clean is recommended as well where we actually strip the indoor unit to get inside for steam cleaning.
Get maximum performance and efficiency from your reverse cycle ducted system. It's the same as having your car serviced, to maintain a good running system. The main issues with ducted air conditioning are as below:
- Droning noise and vibration (blocked return filter)
- Water dripping through ceiling (main drain blocked)
- Poor airflow (blocked return filter)
- Reduced cooling (blocked return filter)
- Mouldy smell (undrained water in evaporator)
Ensure that your air conditioning unit is serviced once a year to protect your manufacturer warranty and gain the maximum performance.
Standard domestic ducted system services from $250 incl. GST (Price relative to area of Brisbane)
- Replace return filter.
- Cleaning of external unit and coil clean the condenser.
- Check refrigerant.
- Temperature check.
- Function check
- Test zones
Cleaning of the Evaporator is not included; this involves removing the indoor unit supply and return plenum boxes. If this is needed an additional 2 hours of labour is required ($250 incl. GST).
Exclusions for Ducted Service:
The following are more related to a breakdown. Please see breakdown menu.
- Compressed nitrogen to clean out blocked drains i.e. if the air conditioner is dripping water: $85.00 incl. GST
- Cost of refrigerant to re-gas units: Please refer to re-gas menu for pricing
- Recovery of refrigerant from a non-running system including call out: From $250.00 incl. GST
- Breakdown call out fee: $85- $175 incl. GST includes technician for up to half an hour.
$65 per hour after if required. (Price relative to area of Brisbane)
- This does not include any zone control repairs or related repairs to the air conditioning system